My bleeding heart

We found out on Saturday that my father in law has 5 blockages and needs open heart surgery Monday. Of course when I found out I cried my eyes out. Several times. You see, I'm very sensitive to these kinds of things and the merest prick to my heart makes me cry. Well, this was more than a prick. This was a good stab in my heart. And it hurts. I'm scared for him. I know this day and age, doctors can fix just about anything and successfully, but I'm still scared. He is a second dad to me. I don't want anything bad to happen to him. And of course it made me think of my dad and that started a whole new round of fresh tears to fall. My dad's like 200 pounds overweight! I'm scared out of my mind that he's going to die when I'm here and not there by his bedside. And here comes the tears again.

I hate being so sensitive, and so panicky, and so anxious and everything that I am. There's absolutely nothing I can do about the situation, and yet I worry. I worry to the point that I feel physically ill and in pain. I cry because my heart hurts me. I wish I could be more unemotional. A little bit less attached. I didn't want to visit him in the hospital because I was sure he'd think something horrible was happening to him as soon as he saw my red puffy eyes.

I wish I was more like Charlie and his siblings. They are all laid back about it. I'm not saying that they're not a little worried, but they deal with it so much better than I do. So if you see me puffy-eyed or crying, please forgive me my bleeding heart.
Angela

Comments

Karilynn said…
We cry too.. just try not to in front of our kids. It's hard to explain to them how serious what is about to happen really is. But it was also really important for me to get my kids down there to see him. We also have learned to look strong for our dad. He hates seeing anyone hurting. So we go through the day trying not to think about it too much... and I'm personally counting down the minutes till the surgery is over. Then I'll be counting down the minutes till he comes home. Then... if all goes well.. I'll be counting down the minutes till he stops being an ornery cuss! :o) It's okay to cry. It just means that you really get it... and IT is kind of a big deal.
Vicki Sue said…
I am scared out of my mind as well. It is just nothing like this has ever happen to me personally and the whole thing seems so sureal. I feel like I am standing outside myself ignoring what is going on around me and waiting for it to be over so I can get back to the way it was before. I love my Dad so much and I am crying inside. Believe me, if we saw you crying, we would all start crying and thats okay because we all love him and we all just want this to be over! I am glad you are here with us right now. We all need one another and especially right now.

Popular Posts